The General Data Protection Regulation
Personal Information I collect:
Preferred contact number
Medical conditions relevant to counselling
Client expectation from counselling
How I store information:
Handwritten personal details are kept separate in a locked cabinet.
IPad: Notes pertaining to sessional content are password protected.
IPhone: My IPhone is locked & is password protected. I store your contact number under a code.
- Email /Texts: Email addresses are stored in my host account. Text messages are only assigned to codes not full names.
Website: No personal information is stored on my website other than to momentarily collect & send enquiries to my email account for initial contact purposes.
Third party websites: Clients may find content on my website that link to the sites of other third parties. I do not control these sites which have a link to mine and I am not responsible for how they collect, store or use information
- Client is issued with a copy of the Counselling Contract at the commencement of counselling
- Privacy statement signed by client (client is issued with the statement at commencement of counselling and it is held by the counsellor).
- Intake Form
- Client sessional notes, kept for 5 years to comply with Insurance policy terms.
How I may share your personal information:
- Supervision: I attend monthly clinical supervision to ensure my practice remains safe & ethical. Session details & client codes may be shared with my Supervisor.
- Therapeutic Will: Your name & contact details will be shared with my Therapeutic Executor so that in the unlikely event of my sudden death you can be contacted should you still be in therapy with me. My Therapeutic Executor adheres to the same confidentiality agreements.
- Emergencies: If your health is in jeopardy I may share your details with a healthcare service such as your GP or Mental Health Crisis Team.
Erasing your information: All electronic enquiries are erased after 3 months. All texts & contact numbers are erased 3 months following the cessation of therapy.
I hold your written information for up to 5 years following the cessation of therapy. This is so I have a reference should you decide to return to therapy in the future.
- Right to Access: You have the right to ask for a copy of your personal information, free of charge, in an electronic or paper format. You also have the right to ask me to amend or change any incorrect information about you.
- Right to be Forgotten: You have the right to ask me to erase any information that I hold about you. This includes your personal information that is no longer relevant to original purposes, or if you wish to withdraw consent. In all cases and when considering such requests, these rights are obligatory unless it is information that I have a legal obligation to retain.
- Data Portability: As the client, you have the right to receive your personal information which you previously provided, also you have the right to transfer that information to another party.
For the purposes of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) 2018, the data “controller” is Caron Zar.
Personal Counselling May 2018